Tuesday 16 August 2011

There's 'gold' in them there hills

This morning Jan and I got in the car to take her to the airport (business trip).  At the bottom of the drive I glanced left and spotted a gleaming patch of gold in amongst the moss. "Holy Moly!!" I exclaimed, or so Jan tells me cos I can't remember doing so!  It was a splendid spread of chanterelle mushrooms - the first batch we've seen in our own garden.  We've found a few batches recently around the woods here in Aberfoyle but these ones today were the biggest by far. Lovely big golden juicy trumpets!  Jan was clearly a bit gutted that she'd be away in London, leaving me to scarf the lot.


When I got back from the airport I got talking to Mark, who is our landlord's gardener.  He works hard to tend the 20+ acres where we live, and sadly doesn't seem to get much by way of thanks.  I started feeling guilty at the thought of eating the chanterelles that came from the garden he works so hard on.  So I decided to follow Ghandi's advice (see picture).  I gave Mark the gold nuggets with instructions for pan frying them in butter.  Hope he and his wife enjoy them!

No comments:

Post a Comment